Prisoner Transportation Officer
Work Location:Natchez, MS
Days and Hours of Work:Work schedule varies depending on customer requirements.
Requirements/Instructions:High School Diploma or equivalent required.
Must possess a class A or B Commercial Drivers License or Permit with passenger and Airbrake endorsements.
Must be able to pass an extensive background check that includes criminal, credit, and driving history.
The Transportation Officer is responsible for ensuring that all trip activity is conducted in accordance with TransCor America (TCA) policies, procedures, state and federal laws, applicable CCA policies and procedures, and Customer contract requirements. This position is also responsible for the safe and secure management of the inmate, detainee and/or resident population and trip movement. Follows sound correctional and transportation industry practices.
The successful applicant must be able to perform ALL of the following functions at a pace and level of performance consistent with the actual job performance requirements.
• Responsible for the safe and orderly operation of the assigned trip in a manner that promotes public safety, staff safety and the secure and humane environment for inmates, detainees and/or residents.
• Communicates and supports the vision of TransCor America, LLC and ensures alignment with TCA goals.
• If qualified, may be assigned as the Assistant Officer in Charge (AOIC) on trip activity unless otherwise directed by their supervisor.
• Monitor and supervise inmate, detainee, and/or resident activity per TCA policy. This includes listening to complaints and effectively resolving disputes or problems, taking corrective action, protecting inmate, detainee and residents rights, and completing all required documentation in accordance with TCA policy.
• Follow sound safety practices and ensure that any injuries or accidents are reported in a timely and accurate manner per TCA policy. Take appropriate action in cases of serious or unusual incidents and emergencies circumstances.
• Conduct pre- and post-trip inspections and briefings as required. Maintain and promote effective communications and the proper flow of relevant information to management and fellow team members.
•Respond to verbal/written inquires and requests in a timely manner.
• Maintain communication with Trip Management throughout the routed trip. Consult with Trip Management and/or Field Office Supervisor personnel in assessing situations and making decisions. Will not deviate from planned trip route unless cleared and/or directed by proper TCA authorities.
• Complete preventive maintenance of equipment and ensure readiness of restraints, weapons, OIC kits, vehicles, etc.
• Ensure effective management and control of resources to include inmate/detainee and/or resident medications and property.
• Maintain appropriate relationships and communications when dealing with fellow staff members, all customer agencies and inmates, detainees and/or residents.
• Application of restraints and the Use of Force will be strictly followed according to TCA policies and customer contract requirements.
• Will be required to perform other duties as requested, directed or assigned.
• Must achieve and maintain Officer in Charge (OIC) certification to be eligible for assignment as an AOIC.
•High School Diploma or equivalent.
• One year experience in prisoner transportation or related field preferred.
• Possess a valid Class A or B driver's license with airbrake and passenger endorsements.
JOB KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
•Superior interpersonal skills. Ability to get along with diverse personalities, interact tactfully, display maturity and practice flexibility.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills.
• Must meet the standards of the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations.
• Demonstrate sound problem solving, decision making, and use of sound judgement.
• Meet or exceed contractual requirements of work location to include, but not limited to background screening, substance abuse testing, security clearance, certifications and licenses.
• Ability to travel in a high stress environment for long periods of time.
TransCor America is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
Request Priority Protected Veteran Referrals
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY FOR MINORITIES / FEMALES / DISABLED VETERANS, RECENTLY SEPARATED VETERANS, OTHER PROTECTED VETERANS, AND ARMED FORCES SERVICE MEDAL VETERANS / DISABLED